Monday, December 31, 2012

Written on the Last Day of 2012

Well, so far we have survived several Doomsdays and Apocalypses, including the one severely feared by many and prompted by the Mayans. Could someone honestly tell me why anyone gave a shit about the thoughts or opinions or, for the love of God, the prophecies of the Mayans? 

Anyhoo, we've made it this far. Of course, there are those who believe we won't see the end of 2013, or if we do, it will be a very different world. Some say many of the Nostradamus prophecies come to pass in 2013, and those are prophecies I am more inclined to provide some attention. I cannot say with a straight face I buy into all of it directly, but the N-man has been far more compelling and convincing than most of the others. Then, of course, we should pay some attention to what's been said by Cayce. He's a homeboy and all of that, you know. 

Regardless of the fate of any or all of us, today is the first day of the rest of our lives, and we all know there is no way of knowing for sure what might come about tomorrow. Hell, I don't even know what's going on today, although I suppose I will be in the truck with my co-driver and heading to Miami soon for a load of fish. But these assumptions are based on past Mondays and other memories, as well as rather mundane data. I mean, I could die along the way, never knowing anything further or what ever really happened. But if I survive this day, then I can assume I have at least one more to pursue. 

So, I have an assumption to work with. I think you, dear Reader, may have something similar. The chances are likely that most of us will make it to the first day of 2013 just fine, and unless we know we're meeting the End due to some doctor's prognosis, we'll likely see many more days from there. 

My father, Texas Jack King, died on March 1st, 2006. If he had survived, his birthday would have been tomorrow, the first of January. I say this only because, should he have survived, he'd be wondering what might be in store for him during the remainder of 2013. But because he has passed, he wonders many other things someplace else, or wonders nothing at all. We just don't know, and this is enough for now. If you are alive today, what is coming is so hard to know, and for those who are not, well...who knows? So, go with that. 

Go with the fact that those who are alive now must strive on and continue forward. Because today is the first day of the rest of your life, and what goes on from moment to moment is difficult to ascertain. If you want to rely on some sort of prophecy for your future, rest assured that you are surely going to die sometime in the future. 

Isn't that comforting enough? 

Yesterday, I released my latest publication, which was a short story collection. This is a collection of 12 short stories I have written over the past, say, 12 or 13 years. I have to say that, out of that many years, that isn't very many short stories. At least not for a guy who does as much writing as I do. But the short story thing isn't my thing, so that's about all I have to offer. I mention this because my writing is something that might outlive me. There's a good chance that the things I've written just might become something important to someone some day, even long after I am dead. The point is that these things help immortalize me to some point. They are something I have left for the world and are something that leave an impression where I no longer remain. 

Might I be remembered after I am dead? Perhaps by those who have known me long or by my children, and then their grandchildren, and this prompts some prophesying by me. Might there be grand or great grandkids down the way who might wonder who that guy is on the family tree? Sierra and Margaret are bound to have families of their own some sunny day, and their children will surely wonder about their family tree. Now, there is a chance these children might bounce on my knee some day, as the grandchildren of present (via Mary) do today. I have grandkids today, but these grandkids have other biological grandfathers they wonder about, or soon will. The children of Sierra and Margaret will wonder about me, just because of the biological family tree. Then, they might wonder about my father, mentioned above. 

My father is in many ways a mystery and I do not know much about him, so I can say anyone curious to know of me have at least some written record to follow, even if much of the record is fiction in nature. It still leads to some idea of who I was. 

I just hope that when 2013 starts out and the sun rises on that day, the future of humanity is worth pursuing. I worry about the future we cannot predict, largely because of the insanity we must endure daily, much of which is political in nature. I state that all I need to know about Islam I learned on 9/11, but it seems there are those who want to fellate that monster in order to gain its favor. Whatever. It often seems we live in some big Ed Show, being led down some chute by some carrot on a stick. But because I have no choice, I have to hope the world occupied by my children and their children is a better one than I occupied, and my world often many nice things. 

But, Dear God, why does it possess so many horrors? As we go from here to there, an instant at a time, what is in store for us? The Mayans didn't seem to know. Many believe You do not know, or just don't care. 

Well, tomorrow starts a new year, so for those of you who read this far, pursue the future with a renewed vigor and try to do better. I mentioned the Pygmalion Effect before, and January 1st often prompts this philosophy. I can prophesy tomorrow prompts hope for a new and better beginning. Run with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment