Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Writing of Roddy

While The Writing of Roddy doesn't sound like the most imaginative title for a new Facebook page, that's the name I chose.

Just a couple days or so before the time of this writing, I created this page while I was sitting in a truck stop in Indianapolis. I wanted to do yet a bit more in my endless quest to make the world aware of my work, and I have known for quite some time that placing anything on my regular Facebook page is largely a waste of time. After all, those there who might be interested have long ago checked out what they might desire to see. Aside from that, it's been hard to reach any new audience.

I have tried with some things. I have disseminated post cards created to advertise my writing, but I saw no results from that, either.

But here's the thing that will be different about this new page. Here, I won't simply be shamelessly plugging work and attempting to peddle what's there to sell. Rather, this page will focus on writing, writing issues, writing examples and excerpts, some basic writing lessons (grammar and usage, for example), and then the occasional rant and such. I will surely place the occasional article there, including new ones and sometimes some of the old ones, provided they're relevant.

I don't want the page to be something boring as all get-out and quickly looked past simply because, there it is, that asshole plugging his shit again. No, this will be more about providing food for thought and something truly interesting to check out with each and every post.

Yes, yes, the occasional post might include the website or some other thing, but this will not just be about cheesy advertisements. Instead, I want it to be about the writing as well as those reading the posts. At this moment, I have a mere 7 Likes for the page, but would like to boost those numbers significantly. In fact, if anyone knows a good and clever way to get the word out and achieve more of those Likes, you'll quickly get my attention. I have seen I could pay for an ad, but that could be quite expensive. I would like to do it and I think it could prove to be a good idea, but the $$$ just isn't there right now.

Part of my goal is to offer posts that would catch the eye and the attention of the reader, and then prompt some food for thought. Here and there, I'll post excerpts from stories and so forth. I might plug another writer's work or site. Overall, I want everyone who reads those posts to think, yeah, I'm glad I check that out.

I also would like to be more than open to the readers and subscribers, absorbing any advice about what you gentle readers would like to see posted there. Humorous anecdotes? Political rants? Conspiracy theories? Regardless of what it is, I want it to be good writing, about good writing, referring to good writing, or a celebration of good writing.

So please, feel free to get involved and let me know what you think. And please, help me achieve as many Likes as we can on this thing. I would love to see the Likes reach four figures!

Wow! Could you just imagine that?

No comments:

Post a Comment