Sunday, June 23, 2013

Walt Disney World- So It Seems I'm Missing You

When I first got out of the Army in 1992 and needed to find some work quick, I started looking for what equated to the biggest factory in town. That might not be where the best jobs are, but where the most available ones are until one settles in. I wasn't in Central Florida long when someone suggested to me, "Well, if you're looking for a job, why don't you go out to Disney?"

I did and that was that. I went into their Casting Building (now something else, as I understand it) and after sitting there virtually all day, I got a job that I held onto (for whatever pathetic reason) for nearly twelve years. Now, I know that a job at Walt Disney World seems like one of those amazing and awesome jobs of all time, but the place is similar to a zoo. Where the public wanders is very cool and fun and such, but back stage and behind the scenes, there are a lot of things that will stab you in the back, bite you on the neck and plot your demise for no good reason. Oh, and hold your nose and watch where you step, as there are people about. Petri dish-shallow people.

But let us be honest and point out that all places where people reside resemble such conditions, so it would be disingenuous of me to blame that place entirely. But I was in my mid-twenties when I first went there and had to learn a lot about the human race. Wow, but did the happiest place on Earth teach me that humanity is the most miserable pock mark on the ass of the planet. But now that we have that cheery note out of the way, I have to say that I still occasionally miss the place and some of the people.

Okay, maybe one person. Possible two.

I don't want to make it sound as though the place is out of my life entirely, because it is far from that. My wife still works there. I still bank and see my doctor there. Walt Disney World is still a significant part of my life and just might be well into the future. But, the Fates being what they are have largely prevented me from being able to get out there and visit for quite some time now.

From 1992 to up around 2008 or so, I was able to get out there on a very regular basis. I have to admit a geeky moment and that when I first started there, I started at Epcot, and then never ever got tired of it. I just love visiting Epcot and likely will never tire of it. It isn't lap dance exciting, but always an enjoyable day. I often enjoy going out there, having a beer or two in Germany, a Margarita or two in Mexico, some Sake in Japan and a pint in Great Britain. I also enjoy riding Spaceship Earth now and then because it has some various memories.

But anyhoo, somewhere along the way I thought of something. I recognized there were endless guidebooks to the place selling, and plenty of books and articles hinting how to visit the place on a budget. But nobody created any sort of strategic guide for negotiating one's way through there. Everyone visiting was expected to either follow the pages of some guidebook designed only to be sold or just wing it and hope. But there were no guidebooks I could find that might help visitors and guests create an intelligent framework of making the best of a visit, so I created one.

I did this because I spent a significant amount of time going through the parks and traveling the extensive Disney World property in order to determine the best way, the best time, the best methods in order to maximize one's good time. I have found I can determine down to the hour the better times to be here instead of there and that I can virtually map out a week that will maximize one's visit, thereby maximizing their value. That's money saved and well spent. But unlike those bullshit guidebooks that do not provide one glimpse of helpful information, I couldn't sell shit.

I tried a couple different guidebooks over time but couldn't achieve any significant sales, so I turned to The Examiner (an online magazine) and created a series of articles that provide my information in the series of articles freely available to the public. I still claim my articles entitled, The Best Disney World Guidebook, Right Here, Right Now are still some of the finest pieces of practical information one can obtain on the place, with the exception of some of part six. This is because FantasyLand has changed completely and I haven't been able to get out there to explore it. Hence, my missing the place.

You see, the past few years has seen me getting out there only occasionally, perhaps a few times a year. Now I know that is better than most accomplish in a lifetime, but I live forty miles away and can get in free. If you live forty miles from the happiest place on Earth (not capitalized for a reason) and can get in for free, and don't do it, things in your situation must suck.

Yep, they do.

It's been difficult because of work (I drive semi and am rarely home anymore) and also because of other tasks and responsibilities. Also, during the Recession, we just couldn't justify even the minor amount of money required, like the gas money and the simple lunch. These days, we might be able to afford the occasional day, but time is not free.

So, I miss it. I do miss visiting and wandering the parks. I worked in Epcot for nearly seven years and have so many memories, of all kinds. I then went to the Animal Kingdom, where I met my wife, and that place holds many memories for us. Together, we moved to The Magic Kingdom for a while and, well, that was unique. But honestly, not too bad. We then left the parks and moved to Downtown Disney, where I remained until early 2004 and she has worked ever since and to right now at the time of this writing.

During the summer and because I am home only on the weekends, it's so difficult to get out there during this time of year, and visiting during the summer is NOT recommended. So, now that we're into the early part of the summer, I will set my sights on this early fall and determine to yet again become an expert with FantasyLand. I will update my Examiner pages and ensure that I am yet again your premiere location for the finest in Disney Strategy 411.

And for those of you who have found this blog entry, please accept the several links I have provided to the numerous articles I have written over time regarding the place, thereby enjoying some exquisite Disney Strategy information; information you just can't find anywhere else. Right Here. Right Now.


No comments:

Post a Comment