Friday, January 11, 2013

My Kindle- Wow, but I Love It So Much!

Now, it may seem I am behind the times. Here I am, now well into 2013, and just now I intend on writing down my thoughts on my eReader. Well, I suppose I have been behind, since I have only had my Kindle (the first generation one, at that) since late September of last year and it is my first. Before that, I endured reading via that hard print, hard copy, weighty book format. 

Relax, everyone. I survived it. 

Now, it wasn't as though I was one of the hold-outs who refused to join the new world and give the eReader a try. I didn't harbor the attitude that these newfangled corntraptions would kill the world of books and reading (although the bookstores felt the grind) and that they'll never get me, no sirree bobcat tail. No, I simply couldn't justify the purchase until several other financial issues (such as avoiding foreclosure) were given their due. 

Then, my lovely wife found a deal on one and gave it to me for an anniversary present. Dear God, but what a present it is. 

I imagined I would like it since I do enjoy reading and, no, I don't like lugging around piles of books. I do enjoy a beautiful, leather-bound edition and all that, but mostly I just want the work contained within. My Kindle offers so much of that and more, since I can carry with me more books than I'll ever read in my lifetime, all in one tidy little package. Technology is awesome.

But my bigger reason for enjoying this is because I like to scour the obscure and little-known sources for reading; particularly those locations containing work so many people find beneath their contempt. This is wonderful for me, since most people find me beneath their contempt. 

The sources for cheap e-reading, such as Smashwords, Amazon, Kobo and on and on, offer vast amounts of cheap and free reading. So, rather than see an eReader as a significant expense, it's actually a marvelous way to save quite a bit of money. While the mainstream offers eBooks for a ridiculous amount of money (fifteen to twenty dollars for a download? Really?), the eBook sources such a Smashwords and Kobo offer decades of reading for a few bucks at the very most. 

Ergo, you can load up with gobs and gobs of marvelous books for very little money. 

I also like the option of downloading library books on the Kindle. Now, I know they say the borrowed download will only remain for a couple of weeks, but if you power off the WIFI connector of the eReader, you can have the borrowed book for as long as you need. 

Also, since the gizmo will read anything PDF, the possibilities of having a vast amount of reading and reference material on there are virtually endless. 

Just wait- in a few years I might be able to get some sort of tablet. Imagine what I'll think of that! Coming soon, a review of the Tamagatchi! 

No, not really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment