Sunday, April 28, 2013

The 4th Amendment- Is This the Ignored and Boring Civil Right? Are We Unsure of this Right?

It could just be me, but as a truck driver negotiating the country's highways, I am continually traveling along the Interstates almost every single day, for hours a day, and I have been seeing a lot, I mean a lot, of roadside searches of private cars and automobiles. I mean, just recently I witnessed what had to be nearly a dozen car searches along I-95 in the Florence, South Carolina area, and that was just in a few minutes of driving. One would suppose every working police officer in that county was parked alongside the highway rifling their paws through some citizen's personal automobile and their belongings in that car.

Now, one might suppose the occasional car will arouse the suspicion of an officer and a search may be warranted. The driver and passengers might put up a red flag in the mind of the officer, causing the officer to suspect criminal activity. But I must be honest and state I sincerely doubt there are this many vehicles arousing genuine suspicion. I mean, what's prompting the suspicion? Rubber tires and shiny paint?

I have no idea how many of these searches I have witnessed, particularly along the highways of Georgia, South and North Carolina, and Virginia, but I feel as though if I closed my eyes and swung a cat by the tail, I would likely hit a roadside search within a few minutes. I feel confident in saying I very much doubt these officers are truly suspicious of anything other than witnessing an American citizen driving along, and that's really getting their dander up. I do not believe all these searches are truly for the purpose of tracking a suspected crime; rather, I believe these officers are seeking valuables and cash to confiscate.

I think they're acting as little more than common thieves dressed as the law. We've all heard the reports on the radio and TV of certain precincts taking on the cause of confiscating valuables from people driving through, running on the legal cliff edge and claiming these people must be up to criminal activity. After all, why would they be traveling with money and valuables?

I believe this is the 4th Amendment being completely ignored and bypassed with cat-hair-thin excuses and claims of impropriety. If it was occasional and truly valid, I would applaud their ambition. But common sense struggles with the assumption that all of these searches I'm witnessing are truly for law enforcement. I believe and will claim they're for police harassment and intimidation.

If I was seeing thugs and gangsters standing aside while officers do their thing, it would be one thing. But I am seeing who appear to be everyday people, with Mom and Dad and Grandma along with a couple of confused children being forced to stand well away while six cops brilliantly illuminated by as many cruisers with flashing lights run their paws through these people's personal property. I refuse to believe these people prompted anything more than a potential for something to steal.

I tried a preliminary search through Google to see if there were any reports of wrongful activity, but I'm not finding a lot. I have found some 4th Amendment violation claims along with information of one's rights, but it seems to me these aren't much of a threat to the offenders. After all, who's claim is going to carry further? The ordinary citizen (under constant scrutiny and suspicion within the arrogant police state of today) or the police officer who's allowed tremendous leeway due to some notion of professional recognition?

It seems to me anyone driving the roads of this (so-called) free nation had better be mindful of their 4th Amendment rights. Plenty of people are on top of their 2nd Amendment rights, but they are more colorful and romantic compared to the droll issue of police searches. People seem ready to stand and take charge of their gun rights, but come across as too shy and unsure when it comes to illegal searches and seizures. That should change.

Now, it might just be Roddy, but I say with honesty that I am seeing this a lot. I mean, a lot and more than just often. We've been forced to submit to thugs fingering our wives and daughters in order to board a plane, but now we have to endure these goons giggling about our most private personal property being displayed for mockery while these same goons personally decide if we're allowed to have money?

This is yet another reason to stand as Americans against the traitors in authority and uniform. Further, it is time for Americans in authority and uniform to call out the BS.

No comments:

Post a Comment